Monday, October 13, 2008

Week 5 Wikis

I am now up to week 5 and Wikis. I have, of course, seen wikipedia but it was very interesting to see the variety of Wikis out there and what they could be used for in a library environment. A lot of sites have booklists and subject guides which a wiki would be very useful for as well as Schools/Universities who not only have course information on the Wiki but also Publish the assignements on there for everyone to see. I had not realised what a good planning tool it could be as it is much more efficient than email. For planning events across library services as well as within libraries. It also provides a good option for an intranet specific to the library and allows collaboration and ease of use. I think wikis really are underused and a great alternative to other ways of sharing information. While I found many wikis interesting and informative my personal favourite has to be wookiepedia (No need for all those character guides in your library this has it all and more)

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

You are right, there's lots of potential there for us in this technology,
Kathleen A.