Saturday, April 17, 2010

Dark side of the web

I myself have managed to avoid phishing scams but I have seen others including members of the public affected by them. Malware in general has been a huge problem for us and councils IM&T has spent a lot of time, money and energy protecting councils network from these problems. As we have internet computers unfortunately the library appears to be where a lot of these problems originate and many new users do not understand what these people/groups are trying to do. I am very wary of any emails that say they are from any one I do not know or have not contacted. I also had a patron recently on a dating website that asked about why they would be asking for the details they were and I explained wht "phishing" was. He was shocked to hear that people will do this.

I have again really enjoyed this part of the program and have found it very useful and informative

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Great to hear you have not had problems in this area.

Ellen